How it Works
At CrowdHydrology, we’ll be the first to admit that we’re not the first to use ‘crowdsourcing’ to gather data. Our goal was to make it as easy as possible for people to send us data—no special apps or technologies should be necessary.
No SmartPhones Required
There’s a simple, 5-step process to send the water level data to the CrowdHydrology database.
- Read the stream stage off of the gaging staff at any of the CrowdHydrology gaging station
- Text the station number and the stream stage to the phone number listed on the gage.
- Stream stage is then added to our database and is published for public use on the CrowdHydrology web page.
- Researchers, students, outdoors people, resource managers, etc. can then use these data free of charge.
- Pat yourself on the back because you’re now a citizen scientist, and we could not have done this without your help! Thank you!